If you have been searching for a quick fix weeknight meal that will satisfy all of the members of your family, look no further. Beef Stroganoff is a classic and well known dish but many people today associate it with the box of hamburger helper. It is a breeze to make a much better homemade version from scratch. This is a good starter dish for those just getting into cooking or an easy staple to add to your repertoire that you family will beg for on a weekly basis. Give it a try and leave a comment letting me know what you think. Enjoy.
- 2 pounds of lean ground beef
- 1 twelve ounce package of egg noodles
- 6 ounces of fresh mushrooms
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 4 tablespoons of flour
- 2 cups of beef broth
- 1 cup of sour cream
- 1/4 cup of butter
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
- To begin on this ground beef stroganoff recipe, first bring to boil a pot filled with water. Next, cook your egg noodles in the boiling water for about 7 minutes until they are done. You may then drain the noodles and set them aside.
- In the meantime, prepare your sauce. Cook the onions and mushrooms in butter on medium heat in a large skillet until they are soft. At this point my wife likes to add some brown gravy mix to the mixture. Remove this mixture from the pan and set it aside.
- Melt the remaining butter in the very same saucepan and cook the ground beef in it until it is evenly browned. I normally mix in the flour at this stage and stir in the beef broth and allow it to cook until it thickens slightly. I sometimes add in two tablespoons of Worcestershire sauce and substitute the sour cream for Golden Mushroom soup instead.
- Next, add the onion and mushroom mixture and thereafter stir in your sour cream. You may season with salt and pepper to taste. Allow this to cook until the sauce becomes hot (but before it boils).
- Serve the sauce over the egg noodles and garnish.
Cooking time (duration): 25 Minutes Number of servings (yield): 6 People
Jake has long loved food. As the son of a prominent chef, he grew up around great food and it still remains a huge part of his life. As a family man and the household cook, he has much interest in quick, easy, and delicious meals that will satisfy his family. This ground beef stroganoff is one example of a go to dish he uses. You can find more ground beef recipes quick on his personal website.