It is hard to come across a family that does not have a favorite macaroni and cheese recipe these days. Back when I was growing up the only kind of macaroni and cheese that most people knew about was one made from the little blue box with bright orange powder. Little did my parents really understand about all the preservatives and non-foods that were in this! Today’s parents are much more sensitive to preservatives and non-natural foods, and as such they make more of an effort to make foods like macaroni and cheese from scratch. The beauty of this is that you can play with your recipe to come up with a version that is perfectly suited to your family’s taste buds. There are so many options to choose from!
The good news for those who are not all that comfortable in the kitchen is that there are few things that taste so good that are as easy to make. Today, I thought I would share with you one of my families favorite recipes!
16 ounces shell pasta
2 Tablespoons butter
2 Tablespoons flour
2 cups milk
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon garlic powder
½ teaspoon white pepper
4 ounces smoked gouda cheese
8 ounces extras sharp cheddar cheese
¾ cup breadcrumbs
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Cook pasta according to package directions and drain.
3. In a separate pan, melt 2 tablespoons of butter over medium heat. Add in flour and cook for three minutes. Add milk and cook, stirring often, for 3 more minutes. Add cheeses, salt, garlic powder and pepper. Continue to stir until cheese is melted.
4. Add pasta and place in a 10 inch casserole dish. Top with breadcrumbs
5. Bake at 350 degrees for thirty minutes. Allow to cool prior to serving.
This is a great dish to enjoy with your family and friends. It is great with steak recipes or even on its own. Give it a try!